Three weeks ago we told you that Sony could raise the price of PS5, news that generated a lot of excitement but that frankly made a lot of sense, and that is that the console has been a complete success, so much so that the demand is still so enormous that it is impossible to buy it directly in stores at its recommended price despite the fact that almost two years have passed since its release. We must also take into account the impact of inflation and production costs.
Today the Japanese company has confirmed the PS5 price increase, and it will take effect immediately, which means that this increase has already entered into force. Jim Ryan, CEO of SIE (Sony Interactive Entertainment), has explained that the decision to increase the sale price of PS5 has been very difficult, and that it is due to the challenging economic conditions in which we find ourselves. He has also highlighted that they continue to work to improve the availability of the console.
The inflation and economic uncertainty we find ourselves in is global, but curiously Sony will not raise the price of PS5 in the United Statessomething that is quite curious, although must be deeply related to the strength of the dollarwhich has been able to outperform the euro on several occasions, and which is currently at parity with our currency.
These are the new PS5 prices after the rise that Sony has applied
PS5 price in Europe:
- PS5 with optical drive: rises from 499.99 euros to 549.99 euros.
- PS5 without optical drive: rises from 399.99 euros to 449.99 euros.
PS5 price in the UK
- PS5 with optical drive: up from £449.99 to £479.99.
- PS5 without optical drive: up from £359.99 to £389.99.
PS5 Japan price:
- PS5 with optical drive: up from 54,978 yen to 60,478 yen.
- PS5 without optical drive: up from 43,978 yen to 49,978 yen.
PS5 price in China:
- PS5 with optical drive: up from 3,899 yuan to 4,299 yuan.
- PS5 without optical drive: up from 3,099 yuan to 3,499 yuan.
PS5 price in Mexico:
- PS5 with optical drive: rises from 13,999 pesos to 14,999 pesos.
- PS5 without optical drive: rises from 11,499 pesos to 12,499 pesos.
PS5 price in Australia:
- PS5 with optical drive: up from A$749.95 to A$799.95.
- PS5 without optical drive: Goes up from AU$599.95 to AU$649.95.
PS5 price in Canada:
- PS5 with Optical Drive: Goes up from CAD 629.99 to CAD 649.99.
- PS5 without optical drive: Goes up from CAD 499.99 to CAD 519.99.
Sony has also indicated that other countries in the regions of EMEA, APAC and LATAM They could also experience a rise in the price of PS5 in its two versions, but he did not want to go into details, so we will have to wait to see what finally happens.
That a console that has been on the market for two years is rising in price precisely now, when the semiconductor sector is undergoing a clear recovery, and that the price of numerous components has begun to fall, may seem difficult to understand, but Sony has made its arguments clear, so there is little more to say without entering into controversy.
This increase in the price of PS5 makes the console 50 euros more expensive in Spain, but the problem is that the stock is still zero, and that it is impossible to buy a unit at its recommended price. Most of those who buy this console have to go through the resale market, where it reaches prices that are easily around 800 or 900 euros, in fact, in an electronics store in my town there was a unit for sale for 799 euros (new). With this increase in the recommended price, speculators and resellers they will be able to shoot up the price of PS5 a little more.