Irish Water say Dublin City Council ‘didn’t report’ issue with drinking water

1 cc darragh obrien 2190496987jpeg.jpg
1 cc darragh obrien 2190496987jpeg.jpg

Dublin City Council “did not” report an issue that affected Dublin’s drinking water to Irish Water, an Oireachtas Committee will be told.

Irish Water only found out about the problem after they investigated a separate incident at the Ballymore Eustace waste water treatment plant, according to Irish Water’s opening statement to the Housing Committee which was seen by Dublin Live.

Unsafe water entered the public drinking water supply for the Greater Dublin area in August following the issue.

The statement read: “On Friday 20th August, outside of normal business hours, the coagulation dosing system at Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment Plant partially failed meaning that the cryptosporidium and disinfection barriers were compromised for a number of hours.

“Dublin City Council, who operate Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment on behalf of Irish Water under a Service Level Agreement, did not report the incident to Irish Water at the time it occurred.”

They added: “The issue came to light on 30th August, on investigation of related issues at the sludge treatment facility at the plant.”

The issue at Ballymore Eustace waste water treatment plant and a separate incident at Creagh, which lead to 52 people falling ill, only came to light last week.

As soon as Irish Water became aware of the issue, “they notified the HSE and, as the incident had passed, immediate public notification was not required,” the statement reads.

Irish Water will tell the Committee that staff have been placed personnel on the site to “review the escalation and response protocols” following the event and DCC’s failure to report it.

The statement added: “Staff retraining is being provided by the Irish Water Compliance team to plant engineers and supervisors on how and what water quality incidents should be notified to Irish Water.

“DCC Management and plant staff are working in collaboration with Irish Water in a joint response to the issues.”



Dublin City Council “did not” report an issue that affected Dublin’s drinking water to Irish Water, an Oireachtas Committee will be told.

Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien previously said he was “pretty angry” about the two incidents.

He said: “I do want to say, while these incidents are worrying, the water supply is safe.”

“The water supply is safe in both of these areas but that does not get away from a situation where we’ve had systemic failures in a process where public safety was put at risk.”

He added: “We cannot have situations like this recurring again.”

Sign up to the Dublin Live Newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest Dublin news.