ChatGPT writes like a human, has immense knowledge on a wide variety of topics, and is very confident in what he says, even if it’s false.
It is easy to think that it is an intelligent bot, a really intelligent Artificial Intelligence, but that is not possible, we are still far from achieving something like that.
How is intelligence defined?
To understand the subject, we first need to know the definition of intelligence.
Intelligence refers to a person’s ability to learn, understand, and apply knowledge and skills to solve problems and adapt to the environment. Intelligence can also be measured through standardized intelligence tests, such as the Intellectual Quotient (IQ) Test. However, there are various theories as to how intelligence is defined and measured, and there is no universally accepted definition.
The fact is that it is about real-time adaptation to the context we are experiencing.
With that in mind, could CHATGPT ever be smart?
CHATGPT has been trained with a large volume of text to generate text similar to how a human would. Although CHATGPT has the ability to understand and answer questions on a variety of topics, its intelligence is limited to what it has been trained for, and it does not have the ability to learn, understand, or adapt to the environment in the same way that a human would. It is considered a machine learning artificial intelligence, which is limited to what it has been trained and does not have the ability to generalize, learn or adapt.
More advanced artificial intelligence models may be developed in the future that have the ability to learn, understand, and adapt to the environment in a similar way to a human being. However, these advances in AI depend on the development of more advanced technologies and techniques, as well as a better understanding of how the human brain works, a point I will cover below.
What is being done to have a really intelligent AI
There are various technologies being developed to improve artificial intelligence and make it more similar to human intelligence. Among them I can mention these:
– deep learning: It is a machine learning technique that is based on the structure of artificial neural networks. Deep learning could allow computers to learn themselves from vast amounts of data and improve their performance over time.
– Natural Language Processing (NLP): It is a branch of AI that focuses on making computers able to understand and generate human text effectively. NLP is essential for developing AI systems like CHATGPT, which can answer questions and generate text similar to how a human would.
– reinforcement learning: It is a machine learning technique that is based on the idea of rewarding or punishing an agent based on their actions to achieve a goal. Reinforcement learning allows computers to learn from your experience and improve their performance over time.
– Generative machine learning: It is a machine learning technique that focuses on generating new data from existing data. Generative machine learning allows computers to create new content, such as images or text, similar to how a human would.
Great strides are being made on this subject, but to create something truly intelligent we need to know more about human intelligence, which brings us to the next point.
What is being done to better understand our brain
There are several investigations around the world that are working to better understand the functioning of the human brain. Some of the most prominent research includes:
– The Human Connectome Project: This project is being led by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) of the United States, and aims to create a comprehensive map of neural connections in the human brain.
– The Brain/MINDS Project: This project is being led by the Japan Institute of Technology and aims to create a complete map of neural connections in the brain of animals and understand how the brain works to generate complex behaviors.
– The Blue Brain Project: This project is being led by the EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) of Switzerland, and aims to simulate the human brain using supercomputers to understand how it works.
– The Human Brain Project: This project is being led by the European Union and aims to simulate the human brain using supercomputers to understand how it works.
– The BRAIN Initiative Project: This project is being led by the United States Government and aims to develop new technologies to study the human brain and better understand how it works.
Of course there are many other investigations in universities, government institutions, and private companies that are also working to better understand the human brain, but with this list we can get an idea of the complexity and the efforts that are being made.
And why do we want really smart AI?
Surely this is the question that you all ask yourself. Why so much effort in making a really intelligent AI? Where would we mere humans be surrounded by machines smarter than us?
Let’s see some utilities:
– Task automation: A truly intelligent AI could automate a wide variety of tasks, from programming industrial robots to performing administrative tasks. This could free people from repetitive tasks and allow them to spend more time on activities that require critical thinking.
– Improved efficiency and productivity: It could help businesses and government organizations to be more efficient and productive when analyzing large amounts of data and making informed decisions.
– personalized medical care: It could help doctors diagnose and treat diseases faster and more accurately by analyzing large amounts of medical data.
– Scientific investigation: It could help scientists discover new theories and solve complex scientific problems by analyzing large amounts of data.
– Personal assistance: It could help the elderly or disabled to perform daily tasks and improve their quality of life.
However, it is also important to mention that with the development of a truly intelligent AI, there are also ethical and legal challenges, as it could have a significant impact on the employment, privacy, security and other important aspects of society.
The fact is that a few years ago I thought that I would not live to see it, now I am not so clear.